For the fifth year in a row, AdvisoryHQ has listed Birch Hill as one of the Top 10 Financial Advisors in Boston.
- Tim Malloy, Gary Mikula, Brett Mirliani, and Rob O’Neil were named Boston Five Star Wealth Managers on February 1, 2023, by Five Star Professional for the period 5/23/2022 through 01/06/23. For Gary, 2023 marks the eleventh year he has been named a Five Star Wealth Manager. Rob and Tim are both receiving this distinction for the fourth time, and this is the second year Brett has been named a Five Star Wealth Manager. Congrats to Gary, Rob, Tim & Brett! (Birch Hill does not pay a fee to be considered for Five Star Wealth Managers. Please see more information about the Criteria for Five Star Award winners on our disclosures page.)
- We are happy to announce Taylor Cartaglia has joined Birch Hill Investment Advisors. As part of our operations team, Taylor will execute equity trades and assist with other reporting and pricing responsibilities. A graduate of UNH’s Paul School of Business and Economics, Taylor worked for Sheperd, Kaplan, and Krochuk LLC and Fidelity Investments before Birch Hill. Welcome to the team Taylor!
- G. Bowen (“Bo”) Cook Jr., CFA has been named Birch Hill’s Director of Research. Bo has served in various research roles since joining Birch Hill in 2013. Prior to Birch Hill, Bo worked at Brown Brothers Harriman. Bo is a CFA Charter holder and holds a BS in Business Administration from Northeastern University.
- Joanne E. Powers has been promoted to Senior Associate. Joanne has been with Birch Hill since the firm’s founding in 2007. Before that, Joanne worked at Seaward Management, Eaton Vance Management, and Webster Management. Joanne provides customer service to Birch Hill clients and internal administrative support.
- Matthew W. Malicki recently joined Birch Hill as an Investment Associate. Matt will take on certain research responsibilities and assist with special client service items. A graduate of Marquette University in Milwaukee, Matt was previously working in various roles at Dolan McEniry Capital Management in Chicago. Please join us in welcoming Matt to Birch Hill!
- FA (Financial Advisor) ranked Birch Hill Investment Advisors as the 191st largest Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) for 2022. RIAs were ranked by Assets Under Management as of 12/31/2021. Financial Advisor publishes a monthly magazine used by advisors, financial planners, and broker-dealers. (Birch Hill does not pay a fee to be considered or placed on FA’s Registered Investment Advisor Ranking. View more details on the ranking.)
- Birch Hill was a sponsor of Silver Lining Mentoring’s Match 2022 Celebration. Silver Lining Mentoring addresses the two greatest needs for youth in foster care: long-term relationships and life skills development. You can learn more about Silver Lining Mentoring here.
- Birch Hill was a Perseverance Sponsor for Friends of the Children’s 2022 Friend Raiser. Friends of the Children is dedicated to breaking the cycle of generational poverty through salaried, professional mentoring. These mentors, called “Friends,” are provided from kindergarten through high school graduation. Gary Mikula attended the event. You can learn more about Friends of the Children here.
- We are pleased to announce Jon Eng has been promoted to Vice President. Jon joined Birch Hill in 2020 as Investment Operations Manager. Previously, Jon was a Senior Operations Analyst at Boston Trust Walden Company. A graduate of the University of Michigan, where he studied economics, Jon also has a JD from the University of Maine School of Law. Jon’s promotion acknowledges his broad, deep, applicable knowledge and his ongoing contribution to the success of Birch Hill.
- Tim Malloy, Gary Mikula, Brett Mirliani, and Rob O’Neil have been named Boston Five Star Wealth Managers for 2022. For Gary, 2022 marks the tenth year he has been named a Five Star Wealth Manager. Rob and Tim are both receiving this distinction for the third time, and this is the first year Brett has been named a Five Star Wealth Manager. Congrats to Gary, Rob, Tim & Brett! (Birch Hill does not pay a fee to be considered for Five Star Wealth Managers. Please see more information about the Criteria for Five Star Award winners on our disclosures page.)
- Cindy Warhol retired at the end of 2021. A Birch Hill employee since the firm’s inception in 2007, Cindy’s career in financial services spanned more than three decades. Cindy’s work ethic and dedication to clients were second to none. We are happy for Cindy as she now has more time to spend with friends and family. Cindy plans to devote considerable time to gardening, her favorite hobby. We wish her sunny skies and happy days!
- Paul J. Donovan has become Chief Operating Officer. Paul is also a Principal and the Chief Compliance Officer at Birch Hill. In addition to Compliance, Paul oversees technology, human resources, and operations. Paul joined Birch Hill in 2019 and has a BS from Bentley, an MBA from Suffolk and is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM.
- We are pleased to announce Christopher P. Mikus has been promoted to Vice President. Chris joined Birch Hill in 2012. He received his BA in History from Kenyon College, an MBA from Boston University, and completed the CFA program. Chris’ duties include securities research, portfolio management, and client relationship management.
- We are pleased to announce that Lynne Ames has joined Birch Hill as an Associate. Prior to Birch Hill Lynne was a Senior Client Advisor Associate at Boston Private Wealth. Lynne has over 30 years of experience in the financial services industry, including positions with Freedom Capital Management and Tucker Anthony. Lynne has an Associate Degree in Business from Massasoit Community College.
- We are pleased to announce that Susan Vallerand has joined Birch Hill as an Associate. Prior to Birch Hill Susan was a client service associate at Argent Wealth Management. A graduate of Regis College, Susan has over 25 years of financial services experiences, including positions with Seaward Management, State Street Corporation, Investors Bank & Trust and Bank Boston.
- The Boston Business Journal (BBJ) ranked Birch Hill among the Top 25 Largest Independent Investment Advisers in Massachusetts. Advisers are ranked by assets under management (AUM) as of June 2021. This is the third consecutive year BBJ included Birch Hill in the top 25 of Massachusetts Independent Advisors. The “Largest Independent Investment Advisers In Mass” is an independent listing produced by the Boston Business Journal. The BBJ list is based on data gathered from firms, regulatory disclosures, and BBJ’s research. Neither Birch Hill nor our employees pay a fee to BBJ in exchange for inclusion in the list.
- Timothy M. Malloy, CFP™ has become a Principal of Birch Hill. As a Principal, Tim is a Member of Birch Hill Investment Advisors LLC and an owner of the firm. Tim joined Birch Hill in 2013 as an equity analyst. In 2017, his responsibilities expanded to include the management of client portfolios. Prior to Birch Hill, Tim was an analyst and portfolio manager at Manulife Asset Management and held similar positions at Thomas Weisel Partners, Baring Asset Management and Heritage Investments. Tim earned his BS degree from Catholic University and an MBA from Boston College. In 2017, Tim became a Certified Financial Planner ™.
- Catherine M. Kennedy, CFP™ has become a Principal of Birch Hill. As a Principal, Kate is a Member of Birch Hill Investment Advisors LLC and an owner of the firm. Kate joined Birch Hill in 2018. Her responsibilities include portfolio management and financial planning. Kate was previously a Managing Director at Seaward Management and a Portfolio Administrator at Mellon Financial. Kate received her B.A. from Boston College and a certificate in Trust and Estate Administration from The New England School of Banking at Williams College. She is a Certified Financial Planner ™.
- Brett A. Mirliani, CFA, CFP™, CPWA® has become a Principal of Birch Hill. As a Principal, Brett is a Member of Birch Hill Investment Advisors LLC and an owner of the firm. Brett joined Birch Hill in 2015. His responsibilities include portfolio management, equity analysis and new business. Brett has also spearheaded the integration of ESG analysis into Birch Hill’s research process. Prior to Birch Hill, Brett was a co-founder and Director of Client Relations at Granite Harbor Asset Management. Brett was also an equity analyst with Massachusetts Financial Services (MFS) and held positions at Pinnacle Equity Solutions, Manning & Napier Advisors, and TD Waterhouse. Brett has a BA from St. Lawrence University. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst, a Certified Financial Planner ™, and a Certified Private Wealth Advisor®.
- Paul J. Donovan, CFP™ has become a Principal of Birch Hill. As a Principal, Paul is a Member of Birch Hill Investment Advisors LLC and an owner of the firm. Paul joined Birch Hill in 2019. He is the firm’s Chief Compliance Officer and Chief Administrative Officer. Prior to Birch Hill, Paul was a Senior Vice President at Boston Private Bank and he held positions at Woodstock Corporation, Marshall & Ilsley Trust Company and Mellon Financial. Paul holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics & Finance and an Associate of Science degree in Accounting, both from Bentley College, an Associate of Science degree in Aviation Technology from Northeastern University, and an MBA from Suffolk University. Paul is a Certified Financial Planner™.
- Birch Hill was a gold sponsor of Silver Lining Mentoring’s Match 2021 Virtual Celebration. Gary Mikula and Chris Mikus were in attendance. Silver Lining Mentoring’s programs address the two greatest needs for youth in foster care: long-term relationships and life skills development. You can learn more about Silver Lining Mentoring here.
- Birch Hill was a Respite Caregiver Sponsor of Boston Health Care for the Homeless’ Medicine That Matters Virtual Event. BHCHP is dedicated to providing or assuring access to the highest quality healthcare for Boston’s homeless men, women, and children. Gary Mikula, Brett Mirliani and Rob O’Neil attended the event.
- Birch Hill proudly supported Crossroads as a Hammer Sponsor of the Urban Campfire. Through its summer camps and mentorship program, Crossroads helps empower youth to unlock their potential and positively impact the world. Crossroads has been providing life-changing experiences to at-risk youth and teens for over 80 years.
- Birch Hill was an Everyday Hero Sponsor for Friends of the Children’s 2021 Friend Raiser. Friends of the Children is dedicated to breaking the cycle of generational poverty through salaried, professional mentoring. These mentors, called “Friends,” are provided from kindergarten through high school graduation. Gary Mikula attended the event.
*For disclosures related to recognitions given to Birch Hill Investment Advisors LLC and Birch Hill Principals, please click here.